Category: My Apps
ST Community handle: http://community.smartthings.com/users/yvesracine/activity
Company Link: http://www.ecomatiqhomes.com#!home/mainPage
- 1 Prerequisites
- 2 Summary
- 3 Supported Features
- 4 Configuration
- 5 Troubleshooting
- 5.1 Issue #1: I don't know how to create a custom smartapp
- 5.2 Issue #2: I created the smartapp in the IDE, but I don't know where to execute it
- 5.3 Issue #3: I executed the smartapp in the ST mobile app, but there is no tips available
- 5.4 Issue #4: The verbal tips commands do not work with Ask Alexa
- 5.5 Issue #5: I'd like to disable any notifications coming from the stats generation smartapps
* Ecobee thermostat controlled via ST by MyEcobee device => see http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=My_Ecobee_Device * Version 5.0 and higher of My Ecobee device is required. * Daily/Weekly/Monthly Runtime stats available for more pertinent tips. To generate the stats on a daily basis, you'd need the following smartapps installed for each of your ecobee thermostats: - ecobeeGenerateStats - ecobeeGenerateWeeklyStats - ecobeeGenerateMonthlyStats The smartapps are available via the github integration or at https://github.com/yracine/device-type.myecobee/tree/master/smartapps * If you have multiple ecobee thermostats at your location, you can rename the smartapps' name in the last screen (i.e. "Assign a name for this SmartApp").
ecobeeGetTips, the smartapp that generates comfort and energy saving tips based on your actual indoor/outdoor conditions at your home.
- The smartapp will look at your current indoor/outdoor conditions and will generate the energy and comfort tips for you.
- The smartapp generates up to 5 tips at a time, and the tips are saved in the device to avoid repeating the same tips over and over.
- It may be possible that, for a given date and time, no tips are generated. You may then want to try again later when indoor/outdoor conditions have changed.
- In the smartapp, you can "reset" the tips and the smartapp will erase any saved tips so far. The smartapp will then restart all tips processsing from scratch.
- You can also specify a "level" of tips [1..4]. The most specialized tips are level 4 and are related to 2-3 heating/cooling systems. They may not always be applicable according to your HVAC configuration
Level 1: basic energy & comfort tips about ecobee climates and location of your thermostat(s) and remote sensors in your house Level 2: energy & comfort tips related to ecobee climates and how to reduce the number of HVAC cycles (if too many) Level 3: energy & comfort tips related to your indoor humidity vs. the calculated ideal humidity, the daily HVAC runtime stats vs. your weekly and monthly average runtime stats. Level 4: energy & comfort tips related to 2-3 stage cooling/heating stage systems.
- The daily/weekly/monthly stats are used to get more pertinent tips for your location
- When applicable, the stats will be used to generate some tips based on some trend analysis, example: the outdoor temperature has been constant, but yet your daily runtime stats( A/C, Furnance, 1-2 staging components) have increased compared to yesterday's runtime stats or your weekly runtime stats or your monthly runtime stats. - If the outdoor temperature has not been constant in the period (based on some standard derivation formula), of course, the stats will not be relevant for generating tips at your location.
- The tips can be generated through the ecobeeGetTips smartapp or by interacting with Ask Alexa with the commands "give tip" or "play tip".
- Each subsequent smartapp's run will generate new tips till there is no tips available. You then need to "reset" the tips to
be able to repeat the same level's tips again.
The following indoor/outdoor metrics will be used for the "tips feature":
- current Indoor Humidity
- current Indoor Temperature
- current OutdoorTemperature
- Ideal target Indoor Humidity calculated based on outdoor temp
- average of Indoor Temperature over a given period of time (ex.weekly)
- average outdoor temperature in the period
- standard deviation of Indoor Temperature in the period
- standard deviation of Outdoor Temperature in the period
- count of Away commands sent to thermostat
- count of Sleep commands sent to thermostat
- count of Hold commands sent to thermostat
- minimum temp at remote sensors collected over a period
- maximum temp at remote sensors collected over a period
- average temp at remote sensors collected over a period
- daily Cooling Runtime globally and for each stage of your HVAC (if you have a multi-stage cooling system)
- daily Heating Runtime globally and for each stage of your HVAC (if you have a multi-stage heating system)
- yesterday Cooling Runtime globally and for each stage of your HVAC (if you have a multi-stage cooling system)
- yesterday Heating Runtime globally and for each stage of your HVAC(if you have a multi-stage heating system)
- average Weekly Cooling Runtime globally and for each stage of your HVAC(if you have a multi-stage cooling system)
- average Weekly Heating Runtime globally and for each stage of your HVAC(if you have a multi-stage heating system)
- average Monthly Cooling Runtime globally and for each stage of your HVAC (if you have a multi-stage cooling system)
- average Monthly Heating Runtime globally and for each stage of your HVAC (if you have a multi-stage heating system)
- Fan Runtime
- hasDehumidifier (ecobee connected to a dehumidifier or not)
- hasHrv or hasErv (ventilator)
- specific ecobee parameters related to 2-3 stage cooling/heating systems.
Instructions for My Ecobee Device installation (readme):
Instructions for My Ecobee Device integration with Ask Alexa
Instructions for ecobeeGetTips installation
Refer to troubleshooting section below (item 1).
For specific MyEcobee Device's errors/issues, please check the following troubleshooting section:
Issue #1: I don't know how to create a custom smartapp
See the explanations of a fellow community member here:
And, here are some basic explanations with screenshots.
- Point your browser to you SmartThings IDE for your country (i.e. http://ide.smartthings.com or whatever your shard is) and Log In.
- Once you are logged in, find the My SmartApps link on the top of the page. Clicking My SmartApps will allow you to produce a new SmartApp.
- Find the button on this page labeled +New SmartApp and click it.
- Since you already have the code in your computer’s clipboard, find the tab along the top section called From Code. In the area provided, paste (typically CTRL+V) the code you copied from GitHub. Click Create in the bottom left corner of the page.
- This will bring up another page, with the code now formatted within the IDE. If the code was copied correctly, there are no other steps except to save and publish the code. In the upper right corner of the page, find and click Save. Now, click Publish (For Me), and you should receive a confirmation that the code has been published successfully.
You can also use the github integration and update your repo:
You then need to save & publish each "edited" smartapp.
Issue #2: I created the smartapp in the IDE, but I don't know where to execute it
For the initial setup, under the ST app, click on the Marketspace item in the bottom menu, and then, on the smartapps link and finally, MyApps (last item in the list).
If you still do not see your smartapp, please make sure that you have published it in the IDE!
For any subsequent execution, under the ST mobile app, click on automations>smartapps in the bottom menu. The list of installed smartapps will then appear.
Issue #3: I executed the smartapp in the ST mobile app, but there is no tips available
It may be possible, that for a given level, no tips are generated according to your actual indoor/outdoor conditions.
You may then want to try with a different level or try later when the indoor/conditions have changed.
- In the smartapp, you can also "reset" the tips and the smartapp will erase any saved tips so far.The smartapp will then restart all tips processsing from scratch.
- If you specify the "level" of tips [1..4]. The highest levels may not always be applicable to your configuration. For example, the level 4 is applicable only for 2-3 heating/cooling systems.
- Make sure that your daily/weekly/monthly stats are generated every day and the related smartapps are scheduled to run the next day.
To do so,
b) Click on list Smartapps
c) Click on ecobeeGenerateStats, ecobeeGenerateWeeklyStats and ecobeeGenerateMonthlyStats (in sequence)
d) Verify that the takeAction job is scheduled in the future (check the timestamp associated to the Next Run Time) under "Scheduled Jobs"
If it's not the case, you may want to re-execute ecobeeGenerateStats or ecobeeGenerateWeeklyStats or ecobeeGenerateMonthlyStats
Issue #4: The verbal tips commands do not work with Ask Alexa
- Ask Alexa v2.1.3a and higher is required
- You'd need to update your list of operators, params, and utterances to be able to use the new verbal "tips" commands in Ask Alexa. Please refer to the link below for more details on how to update Ask Alexa
- You also need to activate the "tips" commands under Settings/Device Specific commands in Ask Alexa.
There is also a specific section about My Ecobee "tips" commands available under the ST community wiki.
Issue #5: I'd like to disable any notifications coming from the stats generation smartapps
If you disable all notifications in the stats generation smartapps, just answer 'no' to 'Send Push Notification' in the last page of the smartapps.