Bug: Timed Events Fail because schedule is in the past
Description of the Issue
Timed events failed to run because the scheduler is set for a date in the past. This can affect routines, smart lights automations, and smart apps.
This can happen anytime the hub goes off-line, the hub fails to sync with the cloud, or just the smart app itself fails.
Regions affected: All
Phone OS affected: All
Users Affected: affects many users after a platform update. Affects others randomly.
Variable or Always Occurs: variable
Events should run as scheduled.
SmartThings official response
They are aware of the issue, and are working on a utility that would reset any schedule stuck in the past. No timeline has been given for release.
- Support typically suggest that you open whatever routine/smart app is failing and just tap done again to save it.
- Some users report they also have to first take their hub off-power (Including removing batteries) and leaving it off power for at least 15 minutes to force it to re-sync with their cloud account. They then may or may not have to do the individual opening of each routine.
- Some developers have added their own monitoring methods to try to restart schedules when this occurs. See the community discussion section below.
Community discussions may be found in the following threads:
- Main community discussion 
- Developer discussion (technical) of "Sudden Scheduler Death Syndrome" including various monitoring options